Register For Making Money Make Change 2018!
MMMC IS SOLD OUT!
THIS FOUR-DAY CONFERENCE (OCTOBER 25-28, 2018) AIMS TO GENERATE VISIONS OF A FUTURE IN WHICH WEALTH, LAND, AND POWER ARE EQUITABLY SHARED.
MMMC is a confidential space that uses workshops, storytelling and skill building to create a space for young people with class privilege and wealth to explore questions of identity and responsibility in a supportive environment. MMMC programming is dynamic and specific to young people with wealth who are interested in social justice. If you are just starting to think about identity and social change, MMMC is a great space for you! It’s also a great conference to attend if you have been grappling with these issues for some time, and want to do that work in community. We’ll explore a range of topics from creating a giving plan for redistributing resources to the dynamics of being in cross-class relationships and communities.
THROUGHOUT THE CONFERENCE, PARTICIPANTS WILL SUPPORT, CHALLENGE, AND INSPIRE EACH OTHER TO ALIGN THEIR RESOURCES WITH THEIR VALUES.
This work is deeply personal, it’s also deeply about connecting the individual to the collective and working towards societal transformation.The days are full of interactive workshops, plenaries, identity caucuses, open spaces, and intimate pod groups.*
MMMC is always a multi-class space. The programming is designed for young people (18-35) with wealth and partners of young people with wealth, however, social justice movement leaders, Resource Generation staff, and other presenters from various class backgrounds are present and a vital part of MMMC. It’s a great opportunity to practice healthy cross-class dynamics and to lovingly self-reflect on how class privilege manifests.
THROUGH OUR LOCAL CHAPTERS, RESOURCE GENERATION PROVIDES A YEAR-ROUND COMMUNITY WITH WHICH TO ORGANIZE AROUND ONGOING LEARNING, COLLECTIVE GIVING PROJECTS, AND ISSUE-BASED CAMPAIGNS.
MMMC is an excellent way to become involved in RG or to refill your cup if you’ve been working locally and want to connect nationally.
WHO ATTENDS MMMC?
A whole range of people come to MMMC! Participants are individuals ages 18-35, who have access to current, future, family, or earned wealth. Their wealth comes from a variety of sources and circumstances. Young people of color with wealth are encouraged to attend and partners of young people with wealth are welcome to attend. MMMC builds a community of peers who support each other in making creative and informed choices about their resources.
For more information about how we conceptualize “wealth,” click here.
WHAT DO WE DO AT THE CONFERENCE?
- MMMC has daily workshops on topics such as Financial Literacy, Campaign Organizing, Social Justice Giving, as well as workshops offered by social movement leaders on organizing and strategies for change. There will be a total of 9 workshops to choose from over the weekend. Read last year’s workshop descriptions here.
- Plenaries: Daily plenaries address topics including the history of racism and wealth accumulation in the U.S., stories of how Resource Generation members have leveraged their class privilege and wealth for social change, and what we call money stories — telling stories of our class backgrounds and wealth in a group setting.
- Fun: Nightly activities like a bonfire, an open mic, and a dance party!
- Tentative program details for this year’s conference available here.
IS THIS GATHERING FOR ME?
MMMC offers a confidential environment to uncover your personal relationship to wealth and be inspired by different ways to take action that are aligned with your values and communities.
- Do you have, or expect to come into, inherited wealth? Do you have earned wealth? Or are you the partner of someone with wealth? Not sure, but want to figure it out?
- Do you want to work with others to create a more just and equitable society?
- Do you want to explore how different aspects of identity affect your relationship and access to wealth, such as race, gender, sexuality, and ability?
- Are you seeking a supportive community of peers and allies with whom to be engaged with these questions over the long term?
- Do you want to amplify your impact by working collectively with other young people with wealth towards an equitable distribution of wealth, land, and power?
- Are you ready to stop trying to hide your privilege and start leveraging it for economic, racial, and social justice?
If you answered yes to any of these questions, then MMMC is for you!
Conference organizers and workshop presenters from various class backgrounds participate in the retreat; however, this is not a gathering designed for those who deal with these issues solely from a professional viewpoint or who work with young donors in a financial or fundraising capacity.
DO YOU IDENTIFY AS A YOUNG PERSON OF COLOR WITH WEALTH?
People of color with wealth sit at a unique and powerful intersection of identities. There is so much potential to organize together for racial and economic justice. The retreat will host participants from an array of racial and ethnic backgrounds as well as experiences with philanthropy, social entrepreneurship, and movements for change. This is a great space for first-time MMMC participants who are people of color to build community with other people of color and to ground in this intersection of identities. Though participants’ stories and experiences are unique and varied, there is a common interest in using resources in support of progressive social change.
DO YOU IDENTIFY AS A PARTNER OF A YOUNG PERSON WITH WEALTH?
MMMC welcomes partners of people with wealth who were raised poor, working-class, or middle-class. Through their relationships, partners often find themselves in class transition and as class straddlers, with increasing access to wealth through relationship and family. Partners have a powerful and important role to play in working for wealth redistribution and social change. Partners will be placed in a small group (pod) together throughout the retreat that meets daily for relationship building and mutual support. In terms of content, MMMC is most appropriate and relevant for partners who currently or in the future expect to have interdependent finances and thus some level of access to wealth, or influence over decisions about wealth themselves. Chosen family members who are involved in financial decision making or business partners may also be appropriate to attend. Partners of people with wealth are welcome to attend MMMC on their own or with their wealthy partner.
CAUCUSES, OPEN SPACES, AND PODS, OH MY!
Caucuses are a gathering of people with a shared life experience getting together to talk about how that identity has impacted their lives. At MMMC, we’ll caucus around lived experience as it relates to larger systems of privilege or oppression. These spaces are a way for people with a marginalized identity to find and support one another and for people with a dominant identity to reflect and learn with one another. Caucuses can include conversations around disability, race, religion, gender, and more.
Open spaces are times set aside for participants to self-organize discussions otherwise not in MMMC’s agenda.
Pods are small assigned groups based on class background that meet regularly over the course of Making Money Make Change. Pods provide a space to build relationships, process and reflect on workshops and plenaries, and have enriching and candid conversations about personal experiences with wealth, class, and giving. Pods are designed to make sure no one is isolated at the conference and that there is somewhere for #AllTheFeelings.
SIGN UP FOR THE MMMC WAITLIST BELOW
Registration for MMMC 2018 is currently closed. If you would like to be added to our waitlist, please complete this form. We will contact you if space becomes available.